Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Crappy Holidaze

I should have posted this right after Halloween, but circumstances prevented me from feeling like it was ready. Now I will post it, ready or not.





Now that my favorite holiday of the year is over, I feel that I can say that it is official; The Christmas season starts earlier every year.

I know that retailers make a considerable portion of their profits in the seasonal rush, but does that give them the right to extend the length of the season?

I expect to start getting pounded with holiday advertisements any minute now. (Ch Ch Ch Chia) Going into a retail outlet is already making me uncomfortable. When I see eight-foot tall inflatable snow globes and animated grazing deer made from plastic covered wires I feel violated. We have just begun to have frost on the pumpkin, and I live at almost 7000 Feet above sea level! It’s still too damn early!

Retail makes Christmas last for almost two months. I remember a time when retail waited until Thanksgiving to begin the advertising flood. That day is now gone, never to return. I miss it.

I prefer to slip into the holidays like getting into an old and familiar pair of shoes, taking my time and enjoying the feeling of being enveloped in something familiar, warm, and comfortable. Instead I feel that retail is forcing me into Christmas far too early. Before I have even begun to think about putting my pants on, retail is shoving new shoes at me with a catchy jingle and an implied promise that everyone will love me and tell me how beautiful I am if I just shell out two hundred of my hard earned bucks.

Over the years, I have learned to associate the holidays with stress. Face it, there are a lot of expectations from others during the season. We all want to be satisfied for the holidays, and someone has to do the satisfying. Gift buying, cleaning, decorating, planning, cooking, entertaining, card sending, more gift buying, wrapping, buying a tree, more decorating, the list grows and there is still more that needs to get done.

No matter how hard we try, someone will walk away unsatisfied, thus the guilt begins. We begin to think, “Next year we will do it bigger, better, and have more fun. We will make everyone happy.”  Hogwash.

You cannot satisfy everyone. It just ain’t possible. Hell, some you could not make happy if you gave ‘em a gold brick. Some people thrive on being unhappy.

Next year we will get deeper into debt, and work harder, just to have someone walk away unsatisfied. I call this The Cycle of Celebration. Based on guilt and stress, it is a fixture of life in America.

Perhaps we should rename this time of year, ‘Stressmas’.

Does anyone know where I can get a “Get out of Christmas Free’ card?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home