Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Rain???

I think I remember rain. Water falling from the sky, right?

I haven’t seen rain in far too long. I actually can’t remember the last time I saw rain. I heard a short shower one night about a month ago, but that’s not rain. That was more like a brief demonstration of ability to rain, but not really wanting to

It seems like every place I go ends up in a drought. Here I am in the Gulf Coast and I haven’t seen rain in over two months. I thought they got rain here. Someone once told me that it rains a lot here. The ‘grass’ is brown and turning into powder. People are watering lawns and trees just to keep them alive. It’s almost as dry as New Mexico.

And the wind simply won’t go away. It has been blowing here for the last week and the weather on the news tonight said that we should expect it to get windy this week. What the hell has is been doing, Sucking?? They call air blowing at 14 miles an hour a BREEZE! That’s a wind where I come from! It is breezy at night, when I am asleep and can’t enjoy it. As soon as the sun comes up the wind begins and before 9 AM it is seriously windy. Every day. 30 to 45 miles an hour is very very windy, no matter what they tell you.

I tried to fly a kite the other day, but it was blowing too hard. It is blowing even harder today. I don’t have one of those expensive stunt kites that the people fly on the beaches and in winds that would blow your hair off, I just have a nice kiddie type kite. The kind that just shrugs it’s kite type shoulders and does a suicide crash straight into the ground when the wind is too strong.

I guess I should just reconcile myself to crappy weather. I’m scheduled to go to Oklahoma in April, so I better think ahead and get a portable tornado shelter, lightning rods, and extra fire extinguishers. While I am at it, I may as well throw that rain gear that I bought before coming down here right into the trash and prepare for being swept away in a twister that has absolutely no rain with it..

I remember in one of Douglas Adams’ books a character that the rain followed everywhere because the rain liked him so much. I feel like that characters doppelganger. I am beginning to think that rain hates me.

I have thought about doing the naked rain dance but gave that up as a bad idea. (Possibly why the rain hates me in the first place.)(Even I don’t want to see myself naked.)

What I am getting at; I miss rain. I want it to rain. I want to sit in comfort inside The Dog House and listen to the cacophony of rain on the roof, that musical sound the drops make mingling into a symphony of water falling from the sky. I want to bathe in the relaxing noise of rain. I want to fall asleep to the sounds on the roof that wash away all stress and cares in a blanket of white noise.

Instead I will listen to the sounds of wind and the police pulling over all the thousands of kids during spring break.

Life is funny that way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell are you bitching about???????? We haven't had any rain either and we don't have a beach to play on . Okay I'm lying we do just not as sandy or as big. As for the wind I agree with you assessment of what a breeze is but you lived at Conchas to know that is not what we have in NM. The last 3 weeks we have had 20 to 25 miles an hour breezes with winds of 45 mi an hour. So go fly a kite Troll and quit bitching :) eledford

11:27 PM  
Blogger p-dub said...

I ditto that.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home