Sunday, May 06, 2007

Mommy Blogs

I tend to read a lot of blogs that are about people raising their children. They seem to be filled with love and concern about the health and well-being of their offspring. These anxious parents agonize over decisions like if circumcision is appropriate or if they are feeding their kid too much sugar. I often wonder if the tone of these blogs will be the same when these kids become teens.

I don’t think most parents are emotionally equipped to deal with the teen years and ‘ungrateful bastard’ syndrome.

I think that I like the ‘Mommy Blogs’ because they remind me of a time of innocence and looking at the future with a sense of expectation and wonder. A feeling that I was doing the right thing and was going to have good kids that were compassionate and caring.

Instead they became passionate and care only about themselves.

I am not going to fall for the “Am I responsible for their behavior?” argument. As parents we all do the best we can with what we have. There is not instruction manual that pops out during childbirth. If there was, I missed it or it was all soggy and unreadable. (I am not going to give in to my nasty nature and go into placenta comments.)

I believe that teens by nature are ungrateful bastards. If not, they are still emotionally preadolescent and not really trying to grow up. Those are the kids that become forty-seven years old and still live with mommy in the basement, working part time at the convenience store and saving all their money for the next comic book convention.

They DO grow up, they DO become selfish, and they DO have to do this in order to become adults. Deal with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home