Thursday, December 01, 2005

Are you easily offended?

In this age of political correctness and appropriate behavior, I think that people are looking for reasons to be offended. It is now politically correct to take into consideration how others are going to feel about what you have to say. Actually, that should be; ‘What you think they are going to think about what you have to say.’ (It takes a certain doublethink mentality to come up with this shit.)

I read recently that I should no longer call children’s containers for small change ‘Piggy Banks’ for fear of offending our porcine brothers and sisters.

I already eat the four-legged squealers, why in hell should I worry about offending them?  I can’t think of anything more offensive than wanting to eat you or your kin. I eat bacon and those little delightful pork patties that taste so good on a muffin. Should I apologize to pigs before I shove their tasty flesh into my pie hole?

If the PC’s have their way, hamburger chains will have to fund a memorial to all the fallen bovine, and pay restitution to the calves of the oppressed. (Reminds me of Douglas Adam’s ‘Meet the Meat’.)

We have finally collectively fallen off the reality bridge. I heard a phrase last week that had me gasping and swearing into my coffee at the same time. (A neat trick, but I don’t recommend it without a net and a large napkin)

“Otherizing”

This seems to be mentally putting others into any category to which you do not belong.

As I see the world, a person simply cannot go through life without ‘otherizing’. I am not female, melanin enhanced, seasoned, food, or any number of things that I do not have the time or inclination to list.

I was not created equal. I am still not equal. I think that little bit of American metaphor has caused great identity confusion in this country. I am not rich, I am not tall, I am not stunningly handsome and make the women swoon, I am not one hell of a lot of things, I am not equal to you and everyone else. I am an individual.

I was forced to learn the lesson many years ago that tall people had an advantage in this world. They are treated better, make more money, and do not have people writing songs saying they have no reason to live. I do not insist that others refer to me as ‘vertically challenged’. I do not insist that others make doors shorter and toilets closer to the floor.

PC is trying to make the world equal. It will never happen. It can’t happen. No matter what the tree huggers and ALCU would have us think, some people are smarter, richer, or just more popular than others.

Instead of trying to make us all the same, perhaps we should celebrate being individuals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home