Tuesday, April 18, 2006

April in the tropics

As I sit here quietly in my RV, listening to the snap, crackle, and pop of the high power lines that run nearby, it slowly sinks into my delicate brain that I am going to be here for another month, maybe longer.

I cannot contain my joy. (Delicately wiping sarcasm from my lower lip with my sweat stained t-shirt.)

The RV Park is cleared out. When I arrived it was pretty much full, with spaces open only between other spaces. Now, there are not enough RVs to make a good circle for a wagon train.

Some people pay large amounts of money to vacation here. In the winter I can see how this place might seem attractive for a week or two with its warm weather and south of the border atmosphere.

I would rather watch snow fall on the porch. I am not the warm weather kinda guy that it takes to be comfortable here.

Living in the tropics makes for a certain lifestyle. That lifestyle usually involves staying up late and having fun when it’s cooler. That lifestyle is not for me. I am more of the ‘up at the crack of dawn and made sure the rooster is doing a good job’ kinda guy, not the ‘drag my ass outta bed at the crack of noon’ kinda guy.

During the day I am huddled in the air-conditioned comfort of my Doghouse, avoiding the heat and humidity like it is an infectious disease. I am usually in bed before eight and up before four. That does not leave much room for nightlife.

I hope that the people who actually live here like it, because I would rather pass a kidney stone than live here in the summer.

With a kidney stone, you can get morphine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There you go again. I don't see what you have against the crack of noon. Besides that I like sunsets more than sunrises any day. At least my eyes are open. Take care and we at Conchas miss you.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home