Tuesday, January 16, 2007

General work rant

I work for my living. I have worked for many years. I am lucky in the fact that I am now working for a company that thinks its people are an asset and should be nurtured instead of just disposable jobsite fodder.

But the company does have expectations. I don’t think this is a bad thing, but some of the newer guys seem to think that the company should do just about everything for them and then some.

The news guys seem to think that they are automatically entitled to all the things (tools, benches, horses, ect.) that the guys that have been with the company for years have. What they don’t get is that most of these things we worker bees paid for out of our own pocket.

I have my own toolbox on wheels. I paid for it, I have my own lock on it, and I don’t share it with others. I lock company tools in the box, but those tools are signed out to me and I am responsible. I never even once thought that the company should provide me with this.

When one of the newbie’s informed me that he felt that only he and his other box mates should have keys to the box the company supplies, I came unglued. If these guys can’t share, then they can buy a box of their own.

Another guy that we hired is always telling me that he was quite the hero on some other job in some other state. Too bad he can’t seem to do much productive work for this company in this time and place. He is also the first to stop me and tell me how he thinks things should be, wasting my time as well as his own, and lowering his productivity even below his already abysmal levels. Then he tells me that he thinks I don’t like him.

What in hell does that have to do with anything? If I had to like the people that I work with, then I would be always unemployed. I actually like very few people and the kind of people that are in construction are usually the kind of people that I make fun of in my spare time. I do like my job. That seems far more important.

What I am getting at is that this company has expectations of the people that work for it and that most of the people that we have been hiring act like they have never had expectations placed upon them before. They want a paycheck, but they don’t want to have to actually produce anything for it.

It’s lots more fun to show up and socialize for most of the day and complain about everything. Work just seems to interfere with social hour.

To hell with that! I want more out of my life than just collecting a paycheck. I want to be proud of the work that I do and feel like I have contributed more to the future than the taking up of space and wasting of resources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home