Thursday, June 21, 2007

Kansas

After two days of driving I arrived in the heartland, NE Kansas. The very heartbeat of America lives here. I can almost hear it when I have to cross bridges over the Republican River and Rush Creek in order to drive back to the Doghouse everyday

It is always a shock to me when I learn that I am in the Bible belt again. It is like a step back in time in to the moral heart of the American dream. It puts me in mind of being thrown back in time to the 50’s, but with Internet, cable TV, and cell phones.

I remember getting stuck in Oklahoma one time where there were books left laying around the RV park that were horrible fictional tales of the Apocalypse. The owner of the RV Park stopped me at one point to tell me that she thought they were absolutely terrific and a must read for everyone. The one book in the series that I actually tried to begin to read was pure drivel, a scare ‘em tale of suffering and remorse for a life not spent promoting the cause of Jesus. To me it seemed like a minister was trying to write like Stephen King.

On a happier note; it is lovely here. I am in a park next to a lake. Most of this park seems to be people that park their RVs here to have a get away for the weekend. During the week it is a sleepy kinda place with little noise or traffic. I like it. At one time in my life I lived in a place similar to this.

Any trip into the city is a test of my patience. The people that are involved in retail here all went to school on the short buss. After having to give my order to the clerk at the national chain for the third time before he had to ask how to use the point of sales machine, I decided that it is not a good idea for me to go into public here. The eateries that I have visited are second rate at best and the servers somewhat dull to just flat out stupid.

That’s all I have so far. I will have more later when I get a bit of time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home