Saturday, January 07, 2006

Hello from Texas!

Pecos, Texas, made famous in song and tall tale from the Old West. People who like stories of the old West (Or remember the old Disney shorts) know of Pecos Bill.

I am not all that familiar with the tales of the West, but just having just passed through the town of Pecos, I know that now it is not much to get excited about. With less than 10,000 people, I think the most it has to brag about is that it actually has a Walmart, and it has not blown away in the wind.

There is no scenery to speak of, just vast spaces and big sky. Not even a cloud to break up the monotony. The streets are gray, and the dirt is gray. You could have filmed the first scenes of “The Wizard of Oz” there and not had to use black and white film.

Even the tumbleweeds seem to be trying to escape.

The town main street is perfect for parades. I just don’t see anything to have a parade for. The town boasts that it is the home of the first rodeo, but that is in the past like everything else that ever made this place worth living in. (As far as I can see.)

I made my escape from there to go on to Ft. Stockton, Texas. Larger, more modern, it still does not seem to have realized that we are in a new century. I failed to find Internet access in any of the RV parks in town.

If you don’t like what is on TV, you change to the other channel. That’s it. (There is a third channel, but it is in Spanish.) Even what I see on the TV seems to be about anywhere but here. I think I will take a hint and get on the road.

Hasta, Ya All!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home