Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ol' Faithful

The first day in Yellowstone was mostly looking and driving. The Mrs. was driving because I need a break. I was looking because I like to look.

It’s interesting how different she and I are. She is fascinated by every bit of wildlife and I am more interested in the geological things that make this place so unusual.

She wanted to get photos of bison, and at one point hiked a way just to get a shot of one that was alone in a meadow.

Less than 30 minutes later there was another one 30 feet from the road, posing for the cameras and showing off. We saw many, many more, making for a happy Mrs. Troll. She soon became bored with the bison and wanted to see a moose. She was forced to settle for an elk and his harem.

Let me just say that I still think I smell hydrogen sulfide from the geysers.

I was quite surprised at the amount of people at Old Faithful. The development around the geyser is impressive with at least 2 huge gift shops, feeding places and huge hotels build around the landmark.

It seems like it should be The Town of Old Faithful.

Today I plan on letting Mrs. Troll sleep in and taking it a bit easier.

We have decided on a different route back which will effectively give us an extra day in this lovely place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home